Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tuesday August 27, 2013

Tuesday August 27, 2013  update #554
I woke up early and felt a little queasy so I went downstairs to the recliner for a while.   Then I transferred to the couch and actually stayed there until almost 10am.
Bella went off to teach Bridge while got myself prepared for yet another protest with the Coopera investors against SEPS.   I even made, and laminated, a small sign that said “SEPS = Extortion and Discrimination”.  I made the sign so I could use a lanyard and clip and then I tucked it inside my hoodie and off I went.
I am avoiding carrying the backpack for a while in an effort to give my back a rest.
When I arrived at the gathering place at San Blas park, I did receive many thumbs-up for my sign.  When 4pm rolled around I was worried that I would be the only person with a sign but gradually the other banners appeared magically.
Led by the lawyer Gustavo Quito and investor Marco Encalada the procession took to the streets and tied up Bolivar.  I am amazed at the patience of drivers for such interruptions.   Maybe they don’t dare toot the horn for fear that the crowd will turn on them?  Anyway, the tame demonstration/protest made it up the street to the Mayor’s office first but didn’t lag there very long.  Then they went to the Provincial Governor’s office.
I was walking ahead of the group to get photos, with this big yellow sign on my chest.   When I got to the Provincial Building I just flipped it over to show the blank side and just walked past the police cordon, into the building, up to the second floor balcony for a birds-eye view.   Those who knew me in the crowd were laughing and pointing at me, all alone on the balcony like some potentate or Pope.  I turned the sign back around and the Ecuadorians were now giving me the thumbs-up too.   Nobody inside the building was very concerned, there was a large police presence outside.
The crowd then continued to circle Parque Calderon, and past Immaculate Conception, where I managed to accidentally catch the results of an inattentive cyclist ramming into a streetlight, lol.   Even though he went flying onto the pavement, he bounced back up, more embarrassed than anything, and continued on his way.
Then we continued past the Justice Building, then the Old Cathedral, before returning in front of the Provincial Building.   I again repeated my trick of just walking in the front door and heading up to the balcony for more exposure and photographs.  Rob promised to send me a couple of shots he took but they didn’t arrive before I posted this Blog.
We still have not heard any response to our court challenge of yesterday, although we did hear that more of Coopera’s business managers had been arrested and jailed.   Fun, fun, fun.
That was the day’s excitement.  Cheers, Al   

Please see all new photos at http://souvenircuenca.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment if you like...