Saturday, August 10, 2013

Saturday August 10, 2013

Saturday August 10, 2013  update #539
I never got much accomplished today other than the usual mundane chores.   My mind was occupied with the “Sock Hop” tonight at Joe’s Secret Garden.  Richard Verkley from Hearts Of Gold had said that he had requested this night so I expected a few people to show up in period costume.
Since our wardrobe is extremely limited here it took some thinking to come up with a short and pants to go with that era.  First I smeared my hair with olive oil and slicked it into a wave and ducktail.  Then I got a shirt that I could raise the collar and roll up the sleeves to my armpits.  The pants needed the rolled up cuffs to show off my white socks.  I found some dark-rimmed reading glasses, a-la-Buddy Holly, and I was good to go.
I was a little self-conscious on the bus and walking up the busy Las Americas but I arrived shortly after 5pm.   Bella was following later in a cab and I doubted very much that she was dressing up.
It was a very small crowd tonight and as they arrived I was dismayed to see that I was the only person dressed for the occasion.   Finally one lady came in like a 60’s flower child and we were the only two in costume.  Oh well, we had fun anyway.   They were supposed to hand out prizes but that didn’t happen.  It was great to have the real old music playing in the background.   And, no, I did not take any photos of myself as a greaser.
That was today’s excitement.  Cheers, Al   

Please see all new photos at http://souvenircuenca.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment if you like...