Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thursday July 25, 2013

Thursday July 25, 2013  update #523
I apologize...  Anytime we cut & paste anything in this Blog, it screws up everything.  
I happened to awake early so I saw Bella off in a cab to Hospital Monte Sinai very early this morning, needing to arrive by 6am.  She is not very good under anesthetic so she does not want any visitors.   First she is to call me when she comes out to let me know how things went.  Then he is to get out on Friday and will just call me when she is ready to come home.
I was waffling on whether or not to go to Gualaceo, a neighboring town, 30 kms away, but a 1-hour bus ride, for a whole 60c.  It was spitting rain and I just missed the #15 so I almost turned around and went home, but knew I would regret it if I did that.     
I got to the big bus station, paid the dime to get through the turnstile and got on the Gualaceo bus.  There were only 6 of us on the bus but he pulled out within 5 minutes anyway.  This is a real milk run as they stop to pick up anyone with their arm out but we did get there around 9am.
Gualaceo weather seemed a little more stable as I made my way to the town square, the market square, and the big church, on 3 adjacent corners in the downtown.  They were just getting set up everywhere so I just kept going from one to the other.
To be honest, it was all pretty boring.  The stage event started at 11am and was highly religious with at least 20 priests on the stage.   I got very tired of standing so I spent some recuperation time in the church.    They were doing a brisk business selling candles at the door.
During the whole time I was there, amongst about 1,500 Ecuadorians, I never saw one other white face!!  I was the only token Gringo for the day, which I found really surprising. 
I had gone to Gualaceo because I had read the first part of the following description of this festival, but maybe the rest was added later, because I missed most of this stuff….    I was tired and left around 1pm.
Sorry about the bad Google translation.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Gualaceo Party in honor of "Patron Santiago"
The Festival takes place in the town of Gualaceo, Azuay province, on July 25 of each year, in honor of St. James the Greater, patron of the city, commonly called "El Patron Santiago".
Throughout the month of July, especially on Sundays, the faithful of the surrounding areas down to the people to express their devotion to the Saint, which according to tradition and favors the devotees also reputed to be punitive. However, all scheduled events are held on the 25th.   [That was the part I read].
Wardrobe
The Dancers
The dancers set consists of four children: three bus-dance-dance and black.
• The bus-dance carried on his head a multi-colored floral scarf, knotted either forward or backward. About the subject body and shoulders carry a cotton cloth dress, a white thin fabric, this dress they call "saendilla" them falls to the knee and carries at its lower edge lace. Another piece is the "Manguilla" which is a short tunic that reaches only the hip.
On the back and the neck tied carry a "stick" of hanging ribbons of various colors they call wings, and neck, tissue bucato of various colors. Also, one of them takes on the right hand a brass bell in his left hand and a stick of chonta with floral panudo moored in half.
• The black-dance takes ordinary clothes with pant "rolled up" and with his face and legs painted black with a frosting made from soot and lard.
Over the head wearing a "chanter" or wig that consists of 14 "jimbas" or human hair braids and big back flowered handkerchief interlining for litad and knotted, with tie neck front.In the hands holding two sidings with a boss generally used when the dance, then beating each produce a click. These sticks are called "juanchillo".
All dancers are barefoot and in their presentations interpret the following dances: "Long Street", "Blackbird", "bull", "Balance", "Juntiada", "Chirote wrapped", and others.
The Old
They are entertainers and jesters party. Their number varies but generally usually occur a dozen of them. Do their share of group Quadrille, ie if the latter interpreted Dance Ribbons, the Elders do the same, taking apart a circle with a crooked stick in the center.
His dress is varied and bizarre. They generally take an old sack or casinete cashmere "long, large buttons, pants and shirt current boots or shoes, some of them trimmed with leggings. Their characteristic is the mask made of the same in" rags "and that consists of a white cloth bag "snapper", that covers their entire head and face being approached to shoulders.
On their heads they wear "jimbas" or horsehair braid or twine, a whip in the hands of lignum vitae with a rawhide beta of their men in the kind of "shigra" or leather backpack, and a monkey on his back or "chucurillo" stuffed to make people kiss.
The Quadrille
It consists of a group of 18 people, adults, youth and children.All are presented without a mask and are decked out in the following way:
On the shoulders carry a green cloth bib with a mirror. On this layer "Saendilla". Common straw hat, also with a mirror on its front, but two trilby wearing mirror plus a feather peacock. In the hand carrying a colorful umbrella, the same as the spin when they dance.
During the dances make "figures" or "work" to the sound of a brass band. Among the tasks that run under the direction of the "guides" are: the Curiquinga, the Painada, Number Eight, and Braid Large.
The Pendoneros
The Pendoneros form a kind of religious emblem used in the procession. It consists of a stick about a meter long, which has at its upper end a sphere of setal and on this a cross, in the bottom of the sphere, comes a white cloth that is choked once or twice creating thus a rough spheres of about 20 cm. in diameter, the Lysias not lose their shape by bringing in crumpled newspaper.
The Pendoneras/Pendoneros and are dressed in their finest gowns and carrying the banner with one hand, while with the other bearing a lighted candle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The bus back to Cuenca was packed, standing room only, and they continued to pick up stragglers along the road but then also many folks got off early so most of the trip was full, but everyone was seated.
I myself thought I would be clever and get off closer to the #3 bus on Gonzalez Suarez, I even asked 2 people if I was getting off in the right place and they said yes…  Wrong!!!  After walking for another five miles, I saved myself 25c and made it home on foot.
All told, I spent, 25c to get to the bus station, 10c to get through the turnstile, $1.20 for the roundtrip on the bus, and $1 for a bag of monstrous Timbits.   Total trip cost $2.55.
Whew!!!   5pm and I finally heard from Bella!   I was just going to cab to the hospital to see what was wrong but she says she was just conked out all day on morphine.  The surgery went very well and she expects to be home tomorrow as planned.   All is good with the universe…………
That was the day's excitement,   Cheers, Al   Please see all new photos at http://souvenircuenca.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment if you like...